El Realejo is one of the most traditional neighborhoods to visit in Granada. Its full name is Realejo-San Matías and it is located at the foot of the hill where the Alhambra is located, in the suburb where Granada ‘s old Jewish quarter was located.
The Jews of this neighborhood, called at that time Garnata al-Yahud (“Granada of the Jews”) lived peacefully with the Muslims until the Christian conquest of the city and the expulsion of the Jews after which part of the neighborhood was destroyed.
We invite you to tour with us this beautiful neighborhood of Granada.
What to see in El Realejo
The Realejo has two well-differentiated parts. On one side is the lower and flatter area, which has nothing to do with the original neighborhood. And on the other, the most touristic area, the closest to the Alhambra, formed by narrow alleys and steep slopes so that in some of them there are even stairs.
Life in El Realejo revolves around Plaza Campo del Príncipe, located in the same place as an old Muslim cemetery, and which was built in 1497 to celebrate the wedding of one of the children of the Catholic Monarchs.
In this square we find a Statue of the Christ of the Favors, highly revered among Granadans during Holy Week due to the belief that it freed the inhabitants of the neighborhood from the plague that hit the province in the 17th century, with Realejo being the only one to be spared..
Walking through the streets of the neighborhood, which is what we recommend doing to feel the essence of it and discover every corner that opens up to your eyes, we will find beautiful buildings such as the Casa de los Tiros, a palace from the 16th century and that It has an interesting Granada art museum, or the Bermejas Towers, which were joined in the 16th century to the walls of the Alhambra.
Other places of interest in the Realejo are the Church of Santo Domingo, founded by the Catholic Monarchs and which was the place where the Inquisition met, the Alcázar del Genil, from the 13th century and in Almohad style, or the Carmen de los Mártires, from where Boabdil left to hand over the keys to the city in 1492.