It is one of the favorite places of leisure in Madrid for children and a typical destination for school excursions. The Madrid Zoo can be found inside the Casa de Campo next to the Amusement Park.
Before the inauguration of the Madrid Zoo in 1972, a zoological park had already existed in Madrid since 1770, although it was located in the Parque del Retiro.
We tell you what to see in the Madrid Zoo and the most important areas that we can find in it.
What to see at the Madrid Zoo
Up to 6,000 different animals belonging to more than 500 species can be found in the Madrid Zoo.
These species come from all the continents of the planet, so it is possible to go around the world without leaving Madrid through animals.
But there are not only animals to admire in the zoo, there are also various shows and exhibitions as well as shops and restaurants.
The main points of interest of the Madrid Zoo are the following:
- General Exhibition. This is the bulk of the Madrid Zoo. Throughout the entire route we find various animals in perfectly equipped spaces and among which we can highlight the giraffes, lions, elephants, rhinoceroses or giant pandas, some of the main attractions of the zoo. Almost any animal you can imagine you will find here.
- Aquarium. It is another of the star areas of the park. Here we find the most important aquatic species in the world such as the giant grouper, the always dark sharks or turtles. It does not reach the level of the Oceanographic of Valencia but it is worth seeing.
- Dolphinarium. A typical place of any zoo. It is the perfect place to enjoy the dolphins and sea lions with their shows and exhibits. You must not stop watching it.
- Aviary. Many species of birds inhabit this area. Parrots and birds of prey stand out in it and there are also exhibitions with them.
- marine mammals. Sea lions, seals and penguins are the kings of this area.
- Mysterious Nature. On Earth we can find very enigmatic and mysterious animals. In the Madrid Zoo there is a wide variety of them, among which we can highlight some species of invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles. The blue arrow frog and the alligator lizard are the most important.
- Little Farm. Farm animals are also protagonists of the Madrid Zoo. It is also one of the favorite areas of the little ones and here we have animals as well known and close as chickens, goats, rabbits, sheep, cows or pigs.
You can get more information on the official website of the Madrid Zoo.